In 2015 the Isle of Wight Art Club celebrated its 125th anniversary.
The first recorded event in the club’s history, then known as The Isle of Wight Art Society, was the presentation of a folio of paintings to a local notary and Honorary Secretary of the Society, Sir William Levinge in 1890. After the First World War the Society changed its name to The Isle of Wight Art Club.
The Club has always enjoyed a mix of professional and leisure painters and has had several distinguished artists as members including Alwyn Williams, Founder and President of the Royal Society of Miniature Artists, Cavendish Morton RI and Muriel Owen, one time Vice-
It has always been the purpose of The Club to provide opportunities for members to show their work. Catalogues of exhibitions held since the early 1930s have been preserved along with press cuttings, which often describe the exhibits in detail. For many years, sculpture and craftwork were included in these exhibitions but, today, only paintings are shown. For many years, Queen Victoria’s daughter HRH Princess Beatrice was President of The Club and often showed her own paintings in the exhibitions.